Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Learning to SEW - Toile Pillow Covers


I have NEW pillow covers & accent pillows
for my living room.


 Do you want to know the most exciting part???


 I helped make them!!!


One of my resolutions for 2015 was to learn how to sew.
My dad & his wife C came to Santa Barbara to visit,
and we went to the remnant store.
C and I found this beautiful toile fabric for a song.
The colors are perfect for my living room.
In addition, I had some 20 x 20 down inserts
from IKEA just waiting for my first set of pillow cases.


C and I came home and pulled out the sewing machine.
She is a GREAT teacher and she was very patient with me.
We made 18 x 18 cases, so that the pillows would be
nice and plump!
Frankly, C did the vast majority of the work.
I, however, helped when I could  - 
and I watched very carefully.
Now, I think I may be ready to try a set on my own.


In the meantime, I have pillows covered in this wonderful
fabric in gold and deep red.
I love how toile adds French flair to a room
and tells a story. 


The pillows add a POP of color to our large brown sectional.
It also helps tie the couch in with the rest of the room.

Have you sewn pillow covers before?
Do you have any special tips or tricks?

Au Revoir,

5 comments:

  1. Your pillow is perfect. Great job! I have always loved toile and always will. No sewing for me...over the years I've had two different sewing machines and still haven't learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's funny, because I never thought I would have the inclination to learn. The beautiful pillow covers I've seen on various blogs have inspired me, though! It was kind of fun. I also love that I can get really high end fabrics at the Santa Barbara remnant store for a very good price. THAT is inspiration to make my own pillow cases. I agree with you... toile is wonderful!
      Best,
      Michelle

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. It is nice to have a good teacher to help!
      M

      Delete
  3. Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks..
    suzani embroidery

    ReplyDelete